So, it's Monday again and time for an update on everyone's Needlequest work. Has anyone managed to accomplish much this last week? I confess, I haven't! I did a fair bit on my Welsh Poppy last night, but as that was January's subject/technique, I don't really class it as Needlequest work anymore. So, I'll be showcasing that in a Friday/Saturday post soon instead - once it's finished, of course.=)
As far as my Japanese design work is going, well I managed to make a start on tracing and simplifying the kimono piece. After a lot of comparison with my own photos and others on-line, I think this tracing here is more or less correct for what I want. I also want to change the hairstyle to make it a more traditional bun style. As you can see, I make my tracing paper last (expensive stuff!), and there are the wings of a dragonfly goldwork project from back in 2008 visible top right, the tracing for last year's stumpwork rabbit's ear top left and a travel map outline in part at the bottom.=) The Welsh Poppy is also on this sheet!!
I also spent some time with my Japanese fabric collection and fished out these fat quarters and patchworkers' pieces that I bought in Taiwan, (i.e. likely to be really Japanese).
I then narrowed them down to these two pieces - the red for the kimono and the black for the obi (the wide 'belt' part).
Text and images © Elizabeth Braun 2014