Today we proudly announce:
THE COMPLETION OF THE YELLOW CARDIGAN!
OK, not 100% finished, as I've yet to buy and attach some buttons and it could use a press etc too. I'm hoping to get some slightly novel ones, maybe flower shaped, but it's getting something both small enough and without any sharp edges that little Vivienne (I don't know yet how they're spelling it, but this will do as a guess for now!) could hurt herself on.
Here's the process of picking up and knitting all the borders. First I'd to part assemble all 5 pieces and then pick up along the cast (bound) off edges. Here's a terrific video on picking up and knitting stitches on YouTube.
When that was done, the right hand border came next including the buttonholes.
Then, finally, the plain left hand border. I don't know why, but I struggled to pick up as many stitches on this side and actually ended up with six fewer than on the right hand border. I doubt it matters though. I do wish I'd got one or two lower down though as it looks a little bit 'pulled' up to the border from the edge of the front pieces. You can see the 2mm crochet hook I used to pick up the stitches in this shot. The yarn is quite fine (4 ply) and the stitches quite small, so I really couldn't put the knitting needle through to pick them up that way.
There's nothing like enough yarn left for me to attempt any of the other things on the pattern (mittens etc). In fact, I was quite tense to see if it would even stretch to finishing the cardy itself as I only had two balls and I did a size that said it needed three.
The green cardy is also now complete, but I'll save that to show you next week.=)
Text and images © Elizabeth Braun 2012