Monday 28 July 2014

Needlequest Update - 28 July 2014

I haven't done a thing stitchwise from completing the Tudor Lady a week ago until just now when I did a bit on my NQ piece for the month!  Nice to have a week off to devote to other things (like the huge wardrobe clear out that took place early last week!), but also nice to get back to it.=)

I transferred my charcoal sketch to a piece of graph paper and divided the parts of the design up into sections using the two six element blackwork filling patterns you can see here.  The idea was to reflect the shading by filling in more and more sections of the pattern.  I think it would work well, if carefully done.  However, I decided to cut the design right down and just do the cup at the front both in view of time and interest constraints.  It's only a challenge sample, when all's said and done, and isn't meant for anything else.


It's when you get to stitch the outlines that you realise just how wonky your sketch is!!  If it was for something important/serious (i.e. had I still been doing it for a C&G sample), I would have reworked the whole design to make sure it was decently symmetrical!!  Anyway, the next stage is to fill it in and I should be able to show you that for the monthly round up and next month's intro which is due on Friday.

In the meantime, if fellow Needlequesters have any links to post, esp. for inclusion in the monthly round-up, please leave a comment on this post by close of play on Thursday.=)

Text and images © Elizabeth Braun 2014

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Symmetry is overrated - I think the wonky cup will look lovely!

Unknown said...

Your design will be beautiful and unique in special for the missing symmetry. I think the beauty of many thinks is on been wonky

Pamela said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pamela said...

I agree, symmetry is overrated. I look forward to seeing your blackwork progress.

Here's the link to my little project for July. http://hokkaidokudasai.blogspot.jp/2014/07/needlequest-kitchen-towel-20-july.html (I'm still working on May and June!)

 
Google+