Friday 16 September 2016

Peach Hardanger Cushion - cutwork and fillings

Hi everyone!  Sorry about the long pause in reporting on this project.  I actually finished it almost two months ago, have since exhibited it in a local agricultural show and handed it over to its new owners last month!  I just hadn't got to blogging about it until today.

Things are nothing if not mad around here these days and I'm finding myself without much chance to post on my blogs.  I can keep up with my Instagram OK, but it's a little harder to find the time etc needed to sit down, edit photos and then create posts - something that almost always takes a lot longer than one would expect.

Anyway, enough of all that.  You want to read about the project, right? =)

When I last wrote about it back in mid-July, I left it at the surface work done and cutting out complete stage.  Next stage was, of course, the filling stitches.  Sadly, I didn't get a lot of WIP photos during this stage, at least not decent, blog-able ones (one or two were OK to use on IG), as I was working on it quite intensively.  There were basically only two types of filling in this design: woven bars with dove's eye filling in the large diamond section and Greek cross fillings in the squares.
  

Here's an angled view where the lovely texture of hardanger shows up well.  I loved using a little bit of colour in this piece as well.  White on white is beautiful and so classic, but a splash of colour is always welcome, I feel.


Next time I'll share the completed scatter cushion with you. Hope you like it so far. =)

Text and images © Elizabeth Braun 2016

7 comments:

D1-D2 said...

It's a beautiful piece. I love the peaches and creme palette :) I follow you on instagram but sometimes it's nice to get the details behind a project that you just don't get from an instagram post.

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

It's absolutely lovely! The light variegated peach adds just the right amount of color. Well done. I certainly can't get the hang of the picots in the piece that I started.

Irina said...

It is delightful! Perfectly! Very gently! I like to watch and read the blog, it is possible to learn more details about an embroidery and not only

Rachel said...

Delicate and charming - and as you say, the textures are wonderful!

Bunny said...

Exquisite!

Anonymous said...

That is lovely - worth waiting to see it! And it's somehow a very serene piece.

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth....This hardanger pillow is exquisite...but then everything you do is absolutely lovely! I love the peach color and the variegated thread...
beautiful!

 
Google+