As is true of many embroiderers, my go to metallic thread brand is almost always Kreinik. It's pretty rare that they don't have what I need and I have a good supply of their threads in stock. Japan Threads #1, 5 and 7 were perfect for this project. I used #5 to work the larger flower centres and #7 matched the silver work on the dress exactly. I used #1 as a couching thread. I just needed to take care to make sure that each couching stitch went over a net thread or else it would be useless in holding the Japan #7 thread down once the stabilizer was dissolved.
Here are a few photos showing progress though the piece. They're self explanatory really, so minimal text today. ☺
The light was reflecting to beautifully off the silk flowers and the silver metallic thread, so I had to take this shot and try to capture at least some of it. Those of you who've seen this kind of work in the 'flesh' will know just how limited even the best photography is, but it gives a good idea.
I was posting regular updates on Instagram and was delighted around about this stage to know I was definitely on the right track as I got the comment "I love love love it!" from the bride. ♥
I had wanted to have a gap in the silver thread above the 3-leaf section just either side of the top centre and put jewels in the gap, but it would have been too hard to sink to the end without being very visible, so I re-jigged it to put the jewels either side of a line instead,
By this point, it was already beginning to look quite complete, but there were still two more types of trim to add. More on that next time.
Text and images © Elizabeth Braun 2017